In the husMait kitchen we are continuing to explore gluten-free baking.
The following is a traditional Gingerbread cookie recipe that I have been baking for close to 40 years, and have substituted gluten-free flour, plant-based milk, and plant-based butter. We used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour, Soy Milk, and Miyokos European-style vegan butter.
We loved the crisp texture and ginger flavor these cookies delivered!
Gluten-Free Ginger Bread Cookies
1/2 Cup Grandma's Unsulphered molasses
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons vegan butter
1 Tablespoon plant based milk
2 cups Gluten-Free baking flour, plus extra for flouring
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- Assemble all equipment and measure all of your ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- Sift flour, baking soda, and spices into a the 3 Quart melamine mixing bowl.
- In a small pot heat the molasses to the boiling point and remove from the heat immediately. Add sugar, vegan butter, and plant-based milk, stirring until the butter melts and the mixture has cooled to lukewarm.
- Pour molasses mixture into the dry ingredients stirring well.
- Let stand for 15 minutes; this helps with the texture.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured Silicone Rolling Mat, and then knead the dough for a few minutes. Add gluten free flour if needed to handle the dough.
- With the Silicone rolling pin roll the dough to 1/4 inch on the lightly floured rolling mat and cut into shapes.
- Place cookies onto the 10”x15” Non-Stick Baking Sheer or Silicone Baking Mat. (Grease any other baking sheet)
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Place to cool on the Stainless Steel Cooling Rack.
These are perfect as is or decorated with Royal Icing.
There are other Gluten Free flours available that substitute equally for all-purpose flour, and we will be trying them out in our husMait Kitchen to compare the taste and texture. We hope you will continue to join us on this journey.
With warm wishes for your home,
from the husMait home kitchen.