We are baking heart-shaped, jam-filled sugar cookies in celebration of Mother's Day. These cookies are gluten-free and vegan with great texture and flavor.
Vanilla Sugar Cookies
2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
6 Tablespoons of hot water
3 cups of gluten-free 1 to 1 flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup soft dairy-free butter substitute
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- In the large melamine bowl, mix the flaxseed and hot water, let stand for 5 minutes.
- In the small melamine bowl mix gluten free flour, baking powder and salt well.
- To the large melamine mixing bowl with the flaxseed mixture add the butter substitute, sugar, and vanilla. This can be done with a wooden spoon or an electric hand mixer, at medium speed.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually mixing until smooth and well combined.
- Place the dough on the Silicone Rolling Mat, form the dough into a 1-inch thick disc, fold the Silicone Rolling Mat around the dough and place fold side down on a plate or pan, and refrigerate for several hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- On the Silicone Rolling Mat divide the dough into quarters, refrigerate 3 of the quarters until ready to roll.
- On the Silicone Rolling Mat with the Silicone Rolling Pin roll 1/4 of the dough to about 1/8th inch thick.
- Gently cut cookies using the largest Stainless Steel Heart Shaped Cookie Cutter. You may need to dust the cutter lightly with Gluten-Free flour.
- Place about 2 inches apart on a Non-Stick Baking Sheet or a cookie sheet lined with a Silicone Baking Mat or a well greased cookie sheet.
- To create the window top cookie: from 1/2 of the cookies cut a smaller heart from the center of the cookies, removing the small cookie and baking separately. NOTE: Cutting the center out after placing the cookie on the baking sheet helps retain the shape of the window cookie.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until the cookies are light golden brown around the edges
- Remove to cooling rack until completely cool.
- Spread jam on one whole cookie and top with a window cookie allowing the jam to show through the hole. If you want a touch of class, sprinkle the window cookie with powdered sugar before placing it on top.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
We recommend our Essential Bakeware 5 Piece Set which includes the Silicone Rolling Pin, Silicone Rolling Mat, Silicone Baking Mat, 10 x 14 inch Non Stick Baking Sheet, and a Silicone Flour Scraper. This set is a great value.
There is a video tutorial of this bake on IGTV, come have a look. If you enjoy baking these cookies as much as we did, tag us on Instagram or FaceBook. And don't forget to save some for your mom!
With warm wishes for your home,
from the husMait home kitchen.